mini shepard's pie
this is James Laffrey’s recipe that I’ve written down for deliciousness
- muffin tins
- glass with mouth wider than muffin tin cups
- 6 lbs of ground beef
- 3 lbs of frozen carrots and peas
- 1 hunk of garlic
- salt, pepper, thyme
- 1 beef stock or aus jus
- pre-made pie crust
- instant potatoes
- brown the ground beef
- add your onions and cook until they are translucent.
- add pepper and salt and thyme. and a whole chunk of garlic.
- add frozen peas and carrots to the mix.
If you want to make the meat filling the night before, stop here and refrigerate it.
- if you refrigerated the meat filling, heat it up and be sure to heat up all of the fat embedded in it. If there isn’t enough, just add some butter.
- add flour to the meat filling and coat everything thoroughly.
- then add any beef stock you have. Gatsby used aus jus. Use whatever you want though.
- now take a glass that has a larger mouth than your muffin tins and use it to cut out pie crusts.
- brush these with butter and then flour to prevent them from sticking as you set them on a plate to the side.
- poke the bottom of each crust with a fork to prevent bubbles.
- bake them in the oven at 350°F for 5 minutes, blind baking the crust.
- once the crusts are done, take your meat filling and fill to about 2/3 of the crust. Add a 1/4 cup scoop of instant potatoes to the top and bake at 350°F for about 8 minutes.
- Tada! You now have amazing mini shepherd’s pies